The world’s top beverage manufacturers move large fleets of kegs around the world. Keeping tabs on their movement throughout the supply chain is no easy task. Digital, unit-level traceability technologies provide a solution.
USE CASE FOR BEVERAGE MANUFACTURERS
• Stainless steel kegs are expensive and require planning and regular maintenance.
• Kegs can be reused multiple times when the distributor returns empty kegs to the manufacturer to exchange for full ones, contributing to the “circular packaging” economy.
• Manufacturers want visibility over the entire fleet of kegs to optimize return rates, demand forecasting, inventory level and location, maintenance, and of course, to reduce costs and minimize losses.
• Achieving control and visibility over fleets is a daily challenge.
• Keg traceability is complex because of the high number and numerous locations of distributors.
• Collection of the traceability data needs to be simple and automated.
• Internal transfers between distribution sites or retailers are frequent.
• Markings on the kegs need to be damage-proof and cost-effective.
• Solutions must be able to process kegs already in circulation.
• Reverse logistics is complicated in markets where beer is not pasteurized.